Sunday, October 14, 2012

Babushka Ghost Halloween cookies


I'm in the middle of packing up my kitchen so they can rip it out this week and pop in a new one.

It's kind of exciting and totally exhausting.

So I really hope that it looks great when they put it in.

Oh, and I hope it stores stacks of stuff which is what I really need. I am a total cake and cookie decorating hoarder. My dining room has been a total cluttered mess for a couple of years now.

So no baking now for at least a week.....and probably more as I imagine it will take me a while to sort out where everything will need to go.


Luckily this week before I packed everything away I made up some easy to decorate babushka doll cookies that I will be sharing with you over the next couple of weeks.

I'll start with the easiest cookies requiring the least equipment and work my way through to the more difficult ones. Today we have the evil ghostly babushka cookie. Next up will be the screaming ghoul cookie :)

Because I have a few of these to get through I'll be back to my old posting schedule of a few times a week so check back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The cookie cutters I used are from Bisk-art and the easy vanilla sugar cookie dough recipe I used is from Sweets on a Stick.



Or here at fishpond (Aus/NZ)

Sweets on a Stick: More Than 150 Kid-Friendly Recipes for Cakes, Candies, Cookies, and Pies on the Go!
Ghostly Babushka Cookie if you like your ghosts a little bit cute rather than a touch evil just change the eyes to a more rounded shape and the mouth to a smaller happy smile.

Ingredients and Equipment
Babushka sugar cookies (baked and ready to decorate I used the recipe from Sweets on a Stick)
Babushka cookie cutter 
White Ready Roll Fondant
small rolling pin
clean food safe brush and water
cornflour (corn starch)
Black edible pen
Small amount of black fondant (white fondant colored black with food color) - optional you can just use the pen if you like

Knead the white fondant until pliable. Dust the workbench with cornflour (corn starch) and roll out the white fondant until a couple of mm's (1/16") thin.



Using the cookie cutter, press down and cut out a babushka shape.


 Brush the cookie with a small amount of water and press the fondant onto the cookie. Use the small rolling pin to adhere the fondant to the cookie by pressing down lightly, if necessary gently roll out the fondant to the sides of the cookie by lightly rolling the rolling pin towards the edge.


If you are using black fondant for the eyes, roll out small amounts of black fondant into small triangles (see picture for example) and press onto the head where you would like the eyes to be. Use a tiny amount of water if necessary to stick the black fondant down, make sure you do not use too much or the black will run into the white fondant.

Repeat for all cookies.

Allow the fondant on the cookies to set for an hour of so until the surface hardens.


Use the edible pen to draw on a large wide smile just under the 'neck' area of the babushka shape (see picture for example) draw small vertical lines across the mouth to look similar to stitches. Draw a couple of dots for nostrils and if you are using the pen to draw in the eyes do that at this stage as well.

Ta-daaaahhh super easy evil ghost cookies come back in a couple of days for screaming ghoul cookie......


9 comments:

  1. Mamma mía! They are beautiful! I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully creative Halloween cookies. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the expressions on the cookies! They each have their own personality! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love the frankie and pumpkin babushkas!! They are too cute/ creepy :)
    Good luck with the new kitchen, I'm sure it will be beautiful. I know how it is to have baking bits storage issues, I have resorted to stashing cake stands in my wardrobe which was bursting to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just linked this article on my facebook account. it’s a very interesting article for all.














    Send Diwali Sweets to Chennai India

    ReplyDelete